On October 17, Paolo Boroli, board member of De Agostini, gave a presentation at the Vittorio Minola Conference Hall in Novara on "The History of the De Agostini Geographic Institute" as part of the "Made in Italy, Made in Novara" series of meetings on the history of local excellence organized by the Faraggiana Foundation. Mr. Boroli outlined the history of the Group, which, born in 1901 as a publishing house, is now a global Group whose diverse portfolio includes many leading brands in several sectors.
During the conference, Mr. Boroli divided the history of the Group into four phases. The first phase, from 1901 to 1919, marked the establishment of the De Agostini Geographic Institute (in Rome, at first, and in Novara, subsequently, after the company's relocation). The second phase, which lasted until 1946, was marked by the entry of the partners Marco Adolfo Boroli and Cesare Rossi. This latter phase was characterized by the company's growth, especially in the geo-cartographic field, as testified by the birth of the “Grande Atlante Geografico” (the "Great Geographic Atlas"), which was the most consulted in Europe for its quality and completeness. The third phase coincides with the company's leadership assumed by the brothers Achille and Adolfo Boroli, who, for over 30 years, led the publishing activities with huge investments. Innovation and entrepreneurship allowed the company to consolidate and foster its growth in Italy and abroad, turning De Agostini into a globally recognized company. In 1996, Adolfo Boroli died, and Achille resigned from the presidency of the holding. The shareholders delegated the Group’s leadership to Marco Drago (third generation), who was nominated Chairman. This transition marks the fourth "life" of the company, where diversification and internationalization led the Group to be a solid conglomerate able to look forward to a trustful future.
Mr. Boroli concluded by emphasizing that, regardless of the internationalization of the activities, the "head and heart" of the Group persist in Novara. This city gifted the families Boroli-Drago immense satisfaction, and in turn, De Agostini brought light to Novara, spreading its name worldwide.